Sunday, March 5, 2017

SOLSC Day 5 Tiny House Musings





Slice of Life Story Challenge -- Day 5
Tiny House Musings

*********************
"If I was a secret agent, I'm pretty sure my arch nemesis would be a basement."

Those words were spoken by John Weisbarth, a tiny house enthusiast who hosts the 
"Tiny House Nation" television show. I was watching an episode of "Tiny House Nation" on the FYI network. The TV host, in the midst of helping a family pare down their possessions in preparation for moving into a tiny house that was being built for them, had just been informed that the family had more possessions in their basement. 


That line struck me funny for some reason. A basement as an arch nemesis.... It seemed so silly. Then again, if you don't want to own a lot of stuff, it WOULD be bad to have a basement. Because what do you do with a basement? You use it for storage...aka you fill it up with stuff!


I like to watch the various tiny house shows on TV -- there are several programs that specialize in them -- even though I have no plans to move into one. I find the shows to be quite intriguing. It's amazing to see how the builders fit functional sleeping areas, kitchens, bathrooms and living areas, usually quite creatively, into those exceedingly small (often mobile) homes. The shows give me great ideas for what I could do with some small spaces in my own home. Plus, they're just fun to watch!

I can't help but wonder, though, if I could live in one of those tiny homes. First of all, I'd have to get rid of a massive amount of possessions before I could do that, which would be an enormous undertaking. But even if I managed to do that, could I actually live in a 300 square foot home? Would I get tired of looking at the same four tiny walls all the time? Would I start to feel too cramped and confined in that tiny space? Would I end up with a terrible case of cabin fever that would last all year long?

It would be a challenge, but I like to think that I could do it. Having a nice cozy place of my own without huge utility bills weighing me down... living more simply, without all the material possessions that complicate life....  

Who knows? Maybe some day I'll find out if a tiny house is right for me.

But only if I can bring my basement with me.


***************************
JudyK  March 5, 2017

http://joodlesnowandthen.blogspot.com/2017/03/slice-of-life-story-challenge-day-5.html





2 comments:

  1. Ten years ago, I downsized from a 950 foot square house with a basement, to a 750 square foot condo with no basement. And I love the idea of a tiny house. The biggest challenge would be space for my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter told me she wanted to buy and live in a tiny house because she was tired of *stuff*, but but.. you have a husband,2 kids and a mastiff, I don't get it. But I do love to watch those shows too! Too funny about the arch memesis.... I have to agree!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and very much appreciated! :-)