Thursday, March 29, 2018

SOLSC Day29 - Sunshine/Rain (A Diamonte Poem)






Slice of Life Story Challenge Day 29 -- Sunshine/Rain (A Diamonte Poem)



*****************
I haven't tried writing much poetry since last March's SOLSC, when I explored quite a few forms. I decided to try my hand at it again today, working with the diamonte poem. 

First, I had to refresh my memory as to the structure of a diamonte poem:



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Diamante: seven-line poem that takes the shape of a diamond.

Diamantes are poems about opposites: the first and last words have opposite meanings (or convey opposite ideas).



 A diamante has seven lines that follow this sequence:
Line A: Topic A (must be a noun)
Line B: Two vivid adjectives that describe Topic A
Line C: Three interesting “-ing” action verbs that describe Topic A
Line D: Two concrete nouns about Topic A and two about Topic G
Line E: Three interesting “-ing” action verbs that describe Topic G
Line F: Two vivid adjectives that describe Topic G
Line G: Topic G (must be a noun)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


I like the way that the diamonte poem starts with one thing, and ends with the opposite. It's thought-provoking and fun to think of opposite word pairs, and it's challenging to come up with descriptive words that feel right. So with my memory refreshed, here is today's attempt:


Sunshine/Rain

Sunshine
Brilliant, hazy
Warming, beating, burning
Energy, nourishment; nourishment, hydration
Pounding, drenching, sprinkling
Beneficial, misty
Rain




I enjoy this form of poetry, and will probably write more diamonte poems in the future. They're fun!

:-)
******************
JudyK  March 29, 2018

4 comments:

  1. Love the energy of the weather and what comes after in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem. This is a form I used to use with my students. It was something they enjoyed because it made them think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem turned out great! I was just thinking about diamante poems the other day, but couldn't quite remember the structure. Thanks for the refresher!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like a little more sunshine, please. ;o) (Though I do have to say that the topic of rain has some of the best words that can be added for poetry.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and very much appreciated! :-)