Sunday, March 26, 2017

SOLSC Day 26 - Oddquain Poems




Slice of Life Story Challenge --
Day 26  #SOL17
Oddquain Poems


********************
I was looking at the Shadow Poetry website (shadowpoetry.com) again a couple of days ago, and I came across another type of invented poetry called the "Oddquain." The description on the website says:

Oddquain is a short, usually unrhymed poem consisting of seventeen syllables distributed 1, 3, 5, 7, 1 in five lines, developed by Glenda L. Hand.

The form of the oddquain sounded appealing to me. It reminded me of a haiku, and I like haiku. The site goes on to explain many oddquain variations, but I wasn't really interested in experimenting with those...at least not yet. So, I decided to try my hand at the basic oddquain.



Here are a few that I came up with:


Clouds


Clouds

wispy white,
light and feathery,
meander slowly through fair
skies


Daisies

Bright

daisies pop
through fresh brown earth and
stretch their jubilant faces
up


Ivy

Green
ivy creeps
along stony walls,
grasping tightly, clinging for
life



I've noticed that I tend to go for nature themes in my poems. The haiku poem works beautifully with nature themes, and this oddquain seems to, as well. Maybe I'll try this oddquain form some other time, with something other than nature as a theme. This form could be rather versatile, I think, so it's worth another try with other subjects.


So, my final verdict is: I really like this particular form of invented poetry!

*************************
JudyK   March 26, 2017



                             





4 comments:

  1. I always like finding new poetry forms! I am going to try writing a poem a day for the month of April so I have written this form in my notebook for safe remembering! My favorite is Ivy! You created the perfect image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this one, too. You are such a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That final syllable in each poem is really powerful. I love what you've discovered, and I love Leigh Anne's idea of a poem a day in April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the daisy one, it gives me hope for spring. Love the colors too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and very much appreciated! :-)