Thursday, March 30, 2017

SOLSC Day 30 - The Importance of Daffodils




Slice of Life Story Challenge --
Day 30  #SOL17
The Importance of Daffodils



************
It seems that Spring has finally sprung here where I live. Back in February, it had seemed that Spring would come early, with wonderfully warm weather for much of the month. But then March came along and it turned unusually cold, and stayed cold. Spring had somewhat stalled, until the end of last week when it finally warmed up again.

So here we are at the end of March, and I'm finally seeing signs of real Spring. The most important sign that I've noticed in the past few days is that daffodils are blooming in the area. I don't have any daffodils in my yard any more, but I've noticed them blooming in various yards and properties in the past few days while I've been out and about. It's always a joy to see them blooming. They are a promise of wonderful things to come, and they are beautiful and so uplifting!

Yesterday, while I was driving to work -- my drive is through a mostly rural area -- I passed by a property which is part of a nearby metro park. I pass by that certain property most days, and don't think about it very often anymore. But I'm familiar with that piece of land because I've lived in the area for a long time, and I know a little of the history behind it. There used to be a cute little farmhouse on that property, built probably in the 1930's or 40's, I'm guessing. Once upon a time, a family lived in that house. But after the park system bought the property about 10 or so years ago, there was no need for the house any more. It hadn't been lived in for a while, and probably wasn't in good shape any more. So, the park system gave permission to a local fire department to conduct a practice fire in the house. After that, what was left of the house was demolished and removed.

For a long time, I was always a little sad to see that piece of property when I drove by. I knew where the house had stood, but there was no trace of it any more, and that made me feel a little sad. But after a few years, I didn't think about the missing house as much.

Until yesterday.

Yesterday morning as I was driving to work and noticing all the daffodils blooming all around, I found myself coming up to that certain piece of property, and I suddenly remembered that little house that I hadn't thought about for a while. I was struck by another thought just then, and I wondered....

As I passed by, I made sure to look over at where the house once had been. And yes, sure enough, in what had once been the front corner of that little house's front yard, were slight remnants of a flower bed, and in that old flower bed stood some bunches of daffodils. And they were blooming.

Suddenly that little house was back in the forefront of my thinking, and I knew then that I didn't want to ever forget about that house again. And I knew that I wouldn't.

Because the daffodils won't let me.

********************
JudyK   March 30, 2017
                        






5 comments:

  1. I love your notice! They don't grow here in Florida, but I always buy them for a friend in January as she loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the symbolism of the daffodils...they signify the beginning of spring, but also new beginnings for that piece of land you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for those itty bits of beauty that grap us when we aren't looking. Your contrasting descriptions were quite effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post. The house may be gone, but the daffodils return to remind people, like you, of what once was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Daffodils are important, love the depth and thoughtfulness of this slice.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and very much appreciated! :-)