Thursday, March 2, 2017

SOLSC Day 2 "Be that as it may"




Slice of Life Story Challenge -- Day 2  #SOL17

************
"Be that as it may...."

That's a line which a character spoke on a TV show last night. It's not a phrase that you hear very often these days, and when I heard it right then, it triggered a memory, and a vision instantly came to my mind -- a vision of my teacher from 7th and 8th grade, Mr. Michael Burkey.

Mr. Burkey was a wonderful teacher, my favorite teacher of all the teachers I ever had. He was good-natured, funny and inspiring, and he opened my mind to so many things. It was in his class that I learned to think for myself, to have an opinion, to question the status quo. My classmates and I were constantly challenged by Mr. Burkey, and we learned so much from him! I loved having him as my teacher, and years later, as a teacher myself, I was really able to appreciate just how good a teacher he was.

"Be that as it may...."

It was a phrase that Mr. Burkey used often, so much so that we students would tease him about the frequency of its use. It became his catch phrase. There he would be, standing up in front of the class, explaining something to us, all the while taking practice swings with an imaginary golf club and staring off into the far corner of the classroom as he watched his imaginary golf ball fly. He'd pause for a moment, then go right back to his explanation. We watched all this unfold while hanging on his every word, soaking up his wisdom. And then the phrase would come out of his mouth: "Be that as it may...." and he'd laugh because he hadn't meant to say it, and we would laugh because he had said it AGAIN, and then we'd all go back to the business of teaching and learning. It was a warm and wonderful community, that class led by Mr. Burkey. I have such fond memories of those days.

And so, of course, I have fond memories of that phrase. And I will always and forever think of Mr. Michael Burkey when I hear it.

"Be that as it may...."  
:-)


************************
JudyK  March 2, 2017
http://joodlesnowandthen.blogspot.com/2017/03/solsc-day-2-be-that-as-it-may.html



12 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how something, such as a phrase, takes us back in time. Wonderful memory of a special teacher in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had kids call me on things I say. I hope they remember me as fondly as you remember Mr. Burkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adrienne! We all have that same hope, don't we? ~JudyK

      Delete
  3. What a sweet recollection of great teacher. It's a strong memory because of those the warm emotions that you had in that atmosphere. I love that you said you learned to think for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the truth, Vanessa. Before Mr. Burkey, I didn't really know how to make up my own mind about something. I'll be forever grateful to Mr. Burkey for that. :-) ~JudyK

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard that phrase in a long time. Your words took me back to your 7th and 8th grade teacher. Mr. Burkey sounds like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great person, Julie. :-) Or maybe he still is, I don't know....I don't know what became of him. I wish I did! ~JudyK

      Delete
  5. You capture memory's associative power -- and Mr. Burkey -- wonderfully in this slice. I smiled at the image of the whole class pausing until his imaginary golf ball lands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! Seventh grade is a happy memory for me too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and very much appreciated! :-)